J Layzell & Sons

Established 1895


BUILDING CONSERVATION CONTRACTORS
Your Subtitle text

About Us

 J. Layzell & Sons was founded in 1895 by Jeremiah Layzell who was a joiner and wheelwright (pictured during the building of St Peter’s Church Horton 1899) who made carts and wagons for the agricultural industry. He was an undertaker and owned a blacksmith’s shop.

 Notable contracts included the building of St Peter’s Church, Horton and Wambrook Chapel both built before the First World war.

  In 1941 the firm passed on to Jeremiah Wesley Layzell, who was also a joiner and wheelwright. He was responsible for building many individual, architect designed houses and also for the repair and restoration of old buildings.

  Jeremiah Peter Layzell continued the firm’s reputation for quality new build and repairs to old buildings, handing over to his sons in 2005.

Harvey
(Managing Director)
Harvey is a Professional Builder who has specialised in Traditional Buildings for over 20 years. He was a William Morris Craft Fellow in 1994 and is an active member of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.

Edward
(Director - Accounts)
Edward graduated from college with a Btec National Diploma in Building Studies in 1986 and is responsible for all our accounts. He is also a member of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.

Peter
(Chairman)
Peter learnt his trade as a joiner and became a working site foreman until his father retired in 1975.

Ann
(Director - Admin)

Ann joined the company in 1982 and took over secretarial duties.


 

 Led by Harvey Layzell J.Layzell and Sons are an independent firm of some 20 craftsmen working in the South West and our quality of work and imaginative approach stem from the Directors' continued involvement in manual and supervisory work on site, a commitment to training, a range of specialist skills, coupled with a knowledge of the history of architecture, building technology and the use of natural materials. We hold strongly to minimum intervention, and believe that each craftsman should have not only a broad understanding of allied trades, but also that of the conservator's approach to historic building repair.



The present partnership is the fourth generation
committed to the repair and conservation of historic buildings.